Yoga Jumpsuits & Workout Unitards - We're Obsessed!
Flashback to the 1980s and one-piece workout clothing was all the rage. Picture any old school exercise video - complete with fuzzy edges from overuse - and you will likely imagine a chipper instructor wearing a bright unitard and sweatbands. The good news is that these practical jumpsuits are back with a vengeance and have had a much needed style update.
What Is A Workout Unitard?
Whether it’s a gym bodysuit, a yoga unitard, or a workout onesie, the selection of options is endless. Unitards are what you expect: a one-piece workout suit that ticks all of the boxes. You’ve got support, style and flexibility in one little package. They come in all shapes and sizes. So, whether you want a comfortable and cooling short piece or a long and stretchy one, there is sure to be a workout jumpsuit that works for you.
The Rise Of The Workout Unitard & Why They're So Popular
Athleisure has been a serious trend over the last couple of years. However, with lockdowns and a change of pace, workout gear became the must-have of everyone’s wardrobe. Out of that trend emerged a whole new range of workout clothing and the unitard made its gallant return to the workout wardrobe (and beyond!).
While the word actually dates back to the 1960s, unitards have been in and out of fashion over the decades, really coming into their own in the 1980s. This time around, they are better than ever—with all the functionality you need to power up your exercise regime while looking incredible and feeling secure. Many of the leading brands out there have launched their own take on it, which means that there are countless unitards for you to peruse.
Picking The Perfect Jumpsuits For Your Workout
Now that you’re up to date on why we’re obsessed with workout jumpsuits, let’s talk about what you need to consider when choosing one. Before you get started, it may be helpful to take a look at some of the pros and cons of wearing this type of attire. Here’s everything that you need to know:
Pros of Wearing a Workout Unitard
- It’s an easy option. Forget about having to match your leggings to your top. That’s a thing of the past. When you choose a unitard, you simply throw the thing on and hit the gym. It couldn’t be simpler.
- It’s supportive. In some cases, you may not need to wear a bra with a workout unitard. When you choose a gym jumpsuit, you will find that it’s made of form-fitting material that is flexible too. That means that you get the comfort and support you need in one simple piece of clothing.
- Move with ease. Perhaps one of the best things about a gym jumpsuit is that you can move with ease. That level of flexibility means that you can shift swiftly from asana to asana without worrying about your leggings slipping down or your top getting in the way at all. Much like a second skin, your unitard will stay in place and move with you.
Cons of Wearing a Workout Unitard
- Okay, so when you need the bathroom and you’re wearing a workout jumpsuit, there’s a slight issue. You have to take it all off to do it. While this is only a minor inconvenience, it’s worth keeping in mind. You may need to set aside an extra minute or three when you hit the bathroom.
- The right fit. Finding the perfect fit is a must when you’re choosing your yoga unitard. Since this one piece of clothing has to do everything (and cover you everywhere), that has never been more important. Choosing a quality workout all in one and doing your research is the answer.
The Best Workout Jumpsuits & Unitards
If you’re ready to get on board and find the perfect unitard for you, we’ve got you covered. The truth of the matter is that there’s a bounty of stunning workout gear out there. All you have to do is start browsing and you’re sure to fall head-over-heels in love with them. Here are some we can’t get enough of:
- Girlfriend Collective Unitard
Ideal for yoga, pilates, or any other class, the Girlfriend Collective Unitard is sleek and stylish. The full-length bodysuit has a compressive feel, which means that you get all of the support you’ve been looking for. There’s also a great four-way stretch and a strappy back here. Pretty, contemporary and functional.
- Nike Yoga Luxe Dri-FIT Jumpsuit
Looking for a gym jumpsuit that is breathable and beautiful? The Nike Yoga Luxe Dri-FIT Jumpsuit ticks all of the boxes. This unitard comes complete with ultra-soft Nike Infinalon fabric. The 7/8 design means that it’s comfortable for most types of workout, whether you’re hitting a spin class or doing a little yoga.
- Girlfriend Collective Bike Unitard
Should you want a shorter and more flexible design, you need to check out the Girlfriend Collective Bike Unitard. Boasting sweat-wicking technology and a short-length style, you can wear this one on an invigorating run or while spinning. The choice is yours! As an added bonus, this one also features a built-in bra, which means that you don’t need to worry about support. Neat.
- Year of Ours Reformer Onesie
With a scoop neck and sleeveless design, the Year of Ours Reformer Onesie is at once cool and modern. No matter what workout you have on your schedule, slipping into this unitard is a great place to start. There’s also active fabrication, which means that you get the flexibility and breathability you need the most.
You can see why we're obsessed with work out unitards - it's a must have for your workout wardrobe. Finding the perfect gym jumpsuit doesn’t have to be difficult. There are plenty of options out there. Remember to check out all of the features of your unitard before you take the plunge. Those added extras may just make all the difference. Now, let’s get physical—in true 1980s style!