Nike Sports Bra Guide
Words by Kayleigh Baker
Sports bras are the foundation of a great workout. They’re also crucial to your performance, as one study from the University of Portsmouth found out recently when it proved that women change the way they run depending on the type of bra they wear.
Our Nike sports bra guide will help you find the perfect bra for you; whether you need a low-support Nike Yoga bra for your slow flow sessions or a high-impact style that reduces bounce during bootcamp. Find out more about Nike’s levels of support, discover top tips for getting the best fit and explore some of the most popular Nike sports bras available.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A SPORTS BRA
Whether you’re heading to hatha, hitting bootcamp or practicing your hill climbs; the right sports bra can set you up for a powerful performance.
So, what should you consider when choosing your next Nike sports bra? First, identify the type of support you need: low, medium or high support. This can be determined by the type of sweat sessions you do and also your cup size. Here’s a guide to Nike’s support levels:
- Low support: With minimal structure and support, these lightweight bras are ideal for gentle movement. Designed for comfort and flexibility, wear Nike’s low support bras for activities like yoga, Pilates or strength training. Smaller cup sizes may also find they are suitable for medium-impact exercises, too.
- Medium support: Nike’s medium impact bras reduce bounce whilst remaining comfortable, thanks to clever designs that offer compression without constriction. A great option for cycling, dance, golf and training.
- High support: Built for fast, high-impact movement, high support bras keep bounce at bay, particularly for those with bigger cup sizes. They’ll hold everything in place during activities like running, HIIT, tennis and team sports.
Now you’ve chosen your support level, you can start considering these other important factors when selecting your Nike sports bra:
When it comes to sports bra construction, most fall into two main camps; compressive or encapsulated. Compressive bras restrict bounce by compressing the breast tissue against the chest. Meanwhile, encapsulated bras have individual cups that support each breast. Some bras offer a mixture of both compression and encapsulation for next-level support.
Thin, wide, adjustable or fixed; who knew there could be so many options when it comes to sports bra straps? Nike sports bras feature a wide range of straps that appeal to your style and enhance your comfort; from the classic racerback with thick straps to slim, adjustable straps.
Perhaps one of the most important aspects of your new Nike sports bra is its fabrication. Look out for the brand’s signature Dri-FIT technology, mesh ventilation and recycled materials. With major sweat-wicking capabilities, breathability and stretch, Nike’s bras are built to keep up with the demands of your workout routine.
FIND YOUR PERFECT NIKE SPORTS BRA
Explore Nike’s most popular low impact, medium impact and high impact styles.
Nike Low Impact Sports Bras
Why you’ll love it: This racerback bra has adjustable straps, breathable mesh panels and features Dri-FIT technology. Light compression keeps you gently supported, while removable cups ensure a smooth finish.
Why you’ll love it: Specially designed for your yoga practice, this soft, comfortable bra features slim straps, a flattering V-neck and stretchy underbust band that stays put during downward dog, headstands and torso twists.
Why you’ll love it: Another take on Nike’s iconic Dri-FIT Indy Sports Bra, this leopard print version features a multitude of slim straps, a lightweight design and mesh back that allows heat to escape fast.
Nike Medium Impact Sports Bras
Why you’ll love it: Nike’s legendary Swoosh sports bra relies on innovative fabrics and a compressive fit to provide its wearer with comfortable medium support. This version also features Dri-FIT technology, so it’s sweat-wicking and quick-drying.
Why you’ll love it: Step into training mode with this medium support bra that has built-in padding, a longline fit and a combination of clever thick and slim straps. Plus, its silky, second-skin fit hugs the frame for greater support.
Why you’ll love it: With a compressive, body-hugging fit, you’ll feel snug and secure in this Nike Swoosh bra. A removable one-piece pad offers smooth coverage – and a place to store your phone.
Nike High Impact Sports Bras
Why you’ll love it: You’ll feel confident you can put in a strong performance thanks to the Alpha Bra’s contoured cups, innovative open back and high-support fit that’s perfect for small and larger cup sizes alike.
Why you’ll love it: With a nearly seam-free design, this high support bra features a compressive, secure fit, with moulded cups adding even more stability.
HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT SIZE NIKE SPORTS BRA
Not sure if you’re a XS, M or L? Unlike your ordinary bras, which are measured in inches and cup sizes like 36C or 32B, Nike’s sizes range from XS to 3X. Therefore, it’s always best to measure your body to find the perfect fit.
Use a tape measure to measure around the ribcage, just beneath your breasts. Breathe out and relax so the tape is fitted but not too tight. This measurement is your band width.
Next, Nike recommends you find your ‘halter’ size - the distance between the fullest parts of each bust. Find the apex (or fullest part of your bust) on one side, wrap the tape measure around your neck like a halter top and pull it down until it reaches the apex on the other side. This is your halter size.
One you’ve found these measurements, you can use Nike’s bra measurement chart to find your perfect size.
When it comes to trying on your new Nike sports bra, use our checklist below to ensure you’ve got the perfect fit.
- Check the Straps – one finger should fit comfortably between the strap and your shoulder. Straps should not slip off or prevent mobility. Try adjusting the straps to create a better fit.
- Check the Band – the underbust band should fit a little tighter than your normal bra and stay put when you raise your arms or twist your body. If your breasts or back bulge out, try a bigger size.
- Check the support – for the best fit, the cups shouldn’t wrinkle, have any gaps at the top or beneath the arm or allow your breasts to spill out. Bend forwards, jump and raise your arms to check the support.
Now you know what to look for in a Nike sports bra, it’s time to find your perfect style. Explore our edit of Nike women’s wear to find a sports bra for your next sweat session.