Top Prenatal Circuit Workouts to do at Home
If possible, and advised by your doctor, exercising during pregnancy is an amazing way to look after your changing body, prepare for labour, and to be strong for your baby when they arrive!
The exercises listed below are designed to be completed as a circuit which takes about 5-10 minutes, and can be repeated as many times as you like, at whatever stage of pregnancy you are at (I am 30 weeks pregnant in these photos!). There are also a couple of lovely stretches to do at the end of the workout, or at any time during the day! All you need is a sturdy chair and some good music!
1. Spinal Mobility x 10
- Set up: hold back of chair, feet hip width apart, knees soft, spine neutral
- Exhale: flex tail between legs
- Inhale: extend breastbone towards the chair
2. Spinal Stability with hip extension x 10
- Set up: hold back of chair, standing knee soft, lifted leg flexed at 90 degrees, spine neutral
- Exhale: lift leg maintaining a neutral spine and pelvis
- Inhale: lower leg back to the start position
3. Spinal Stability with hip abduction x 10
- Set up: hold back on chair, standing knee soft, lifted leg flexed at 90 degrees, spine neutral
- Exhale: abduct/open hip maintaining a neutral spine and pelvis
- Inhale: lower leg back to the start
4. Chair Squat x 10
- Set up: sit in neutral on the edge of the chair, feet shoulder width apart and slightly turned out
- Inhale: Hinge spine forward and stand tall
- Exhale: Hinge spine forward and slowly sit
After the tenth squat hover off the chair and pulse for 20 as low as possible maintaining a neutral spine and pelvis.
5. Tricep Dips x 10
- Set up: wrap hands around the seat of the chair, extend elbows, hover off the chair with a 90 degree angle at the hip and knee joints.
- Inhale: flex elbows maintaining a vertical line through the spine.
- Exhale: extend elbows maintaining a vertical line through the spine.
- Hip flexor and quadricep stretch.
- Hamstring and spine stretch.
Hold for 30 seconds each.
Please consult your doctor or midwife prior to participating in this circuit, and refrain from doing any of these exercises should you feel uncomfortable.